Gedney Recycling Yard
- White Plains residents only, ID will be required
- Only cars and small non-commercial trucks allowed*
- Drivers should stop at the gate house and check in with the gatekeeper
- *Commercial vehicles that use this facility are charged a fee
Residents may drop off their household recycling at the Gedney Recycling Yard, which includes:
Paper Recycling Drop-off
Paper products are picked up most Wednesdays throughout the year, except during holiday weeks as noted on the Sanitation Calendar, however if you miss your pick up, or if you would like to drop off paper products in between the scheduled days, the Gedney Yard will accept the following:
- Cardboard egg cartons, cake, cereal, tissue boxes, etc.
- Flattened and tied corrugated cardboard
- Glossy insert and coupons
- Greeting cards and writing paper
- Junk mail and advertising circular material
- Newspapers, magazines, and catalogues
- Office and school papers
- Paper shopping bags
- Pizza boxes (No greasy or cheesy boxes, please)
- Telephone directories
DO NOT recycle:
- Books (the glue on the binding is not recyclable)
- Plastic bags (use paper bags or cardboard boxes to hold recycling)
Co-Mingled Recycling Drop-off
Glass, cans, jars, and plastic or aluminum bottles are picked up curbside. This always takes place on the second day of your scheduled garbage pick up, including holiday weeks. If you would like to drop off co-mingled recycling in between pick ups, the Gedney Yard will accept the following:
- Clean plastics labeled # 1-7. - food, beverage, and liquid containers, as well as detergent and shampoo bottles and caps
- Clean glass - green, brown, or clear glass food and beverage bottles as well as jars
- Clean metal - tin, aluminum foil, and metal food containers, as well as empty aerosol cans
- Waxy cardboard - containers such as milk or juice containers
Take all plastic bags home with you: They are not recyclable.
Do NOT recycle the following items:
- Deposit bottles (see NYS DEC Bottle Bill)
- Dirty or non-food (pesticide) bottles
- Hazardous material containers
- Medical bottles or solvents
- Plastic bags of any kind as they jam the machinery. Return to your local grocery store
- Toy items, flower pots, or garden plastics unless they are labeled with #1-7
- Window panes, light bulbs, ceramics, or any other glass items
Small non-automotive household scrap metal items may only be recycled by dropping them off at the Gedney Recycling Yard. They may not be put out with your household recycling for pick up.
- Metal kitchen utensils
- Pots and pans
- Wire hangers
New York State Law: All Electronic Items Must be Recycled
Even small electronic items must be recycled. You may deposit small electronic items at the Gedney Recycling Yard. See Westchester County's Recycling Consumer Electronic Waste Guidelines.
Televisions (Call 422-1217 to schedule a pick up)
TV sets may be dropped off at the Gedney Yard or you may call the Sanitation Department at 914-422-1217 to schedule an appointment for curbside TV pick up,
Large Appliances (Call 422-1217 to schedule a pick up)
Refrigerators and other large metal items require a special appointment for pick up.
Textile Recycling Bin
More than 85 percent of clothing, footwear, sheets, drapes and other household textiles are discarded annually as trash. White Plains has implemented an easy way to remove textiles from the waste stream. Instead of throwing clothing and textiles in the garbage, White Plains residents can now recycle them at the Gedney Recycling Yard. The City of White Plains has two (2) large textile recycling containers at the Gedney Recycling Yard. Help us make textile recycling as routine as recycling plastics and paper.
Household Goods Donation Sites
Please consider donating items before throwing them out.
Take It or Leave It (TiLi) Shed
April 27th - October 26th
Located at the Gedney Recycling Yard, the Take It or Leave It Shed is a partnership between the City’s Department of Public Works and Eco Neighbors, a local environmental group. It allows residents to give away usable items to their neighbors, or to take advantage of treasure that someone else can no longer use.
Open twice weekly, the TiLi Shed is operated completely by volunteers, and TiLi is credited with removing large quantities of furniture, toys, sporting goods, and various household items from the waste stream, while providing residents with reusable items, free of charge!
TiLi Shed Hours
Saturdays: 9 a.m. – Noon
Wednesdays: 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Pick up free compost, mulch, and unsplit firewood* logs from designated areas
- Drop off of grass clippings, small cuttings, and leaves only
- Bags / containers should be emptied and brought home to be reused
- Empty bags should not be left at the Gedney Yard
Free Compost, Mulch and Logs* (When Available)
These supplies are available to White Plains residents at the Gedney Way drop off area Monday thru Saturday 8 a.m. to 4:00* p.m., Sundays 8 a.m. - 11:30* a.m. *This allows enough time for residents to load their vehicles with materials prior to closing time.
** When available, Bulk delivery may be arranged by calling 422-1202
Note: *Firewood Warning!
New York's urban and rural forests are under attack from numerous invasive insects, fungus' and diseases that are harming and killing thousands of trees.
Emerald Ash Borer
Asian Longhorned Beetle
To help prevent the spread of deadly invasive pests, fungus and diseases, which have killed or adversely affected more than 50 million trees in neighboring states:
- It is illegal to bring untreated firewood into New York State
- It is illegal to transport untreated firewood more than 50 miles from its source
Be sure to obtain an origination certificate whenever you get firewood. You may call the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) at 866-640-0652 for more information. You may also check out their website at DEC Invasive tree pests & diseases information.
Landscaper Coupon System
Landscapers and gardeners are able to purchase a permit coupon book, enabling them to deposit White Plains generated leaves and lawn raking materials at the Gedney Way Recycling Yard. Call 422-1206 to inquire.